Participating in the ONE Campaign means:
1. You are meeting your Rule 6.1 professional responsibility of providing legal services for those who are unable to pay. Rule 6.1 provides that a lawyer should aspire to render at least 20 hours of pro bono publico legal services per year. These services include, but are not limited to providing services to persons limited means or to organizations that are designed primarily to address the needs of persons of limited means or making a financial contribution to an organization or group that provides pro bono legal services to persons of limited means.
2. You are helping someone who really needs the legal assistance. The five legal organization team members of the ONE Campaign reported thousands of Nevadans assisted last year with their legal needs with a portion of those cases being handled by pro bono volunteers. The need is there and your service will be appreciated.
3. You will be among thousands of attorneys in Nevada who give back. Last year, about one-third of Nevada’s attorneys reported contributing more than 100,000 hours of pro bono service.
4. This is a great chance to develop your skills. There is a tremendous benefit to the pro bono attorney in donating their services – it sharpens your skills. All types of issues and all types of opportunities surface in pro bono cases. Interested in arguing before a court? This may be your chance!
5. How about an ego boost for the profession at large? Everyone seems to hate lawyers. (Seriously. When was the last time you heard an architect joke or a teacher joke at a party?) Wouldn’t it be nice to be appreciated for giving back? You can give back to pro bono clients. They need your help, and they genuinely appreciate your services.
There is a demand in Nevada for great attorneys who are willing to do great work for those in need. Now, there is an additional measure in place for you to answer that demand – ONE Promise Nevada.
ONE Promise Nevada is a movement designed to address the need of pairing great attorneys with those who need help. The idea originated with the concept of insuring that all people have access to justice, regardless of their financial circumstances. The objective is a simple and effective one: every attorney in Nevada commits to taking on one pro bono case. With every attorney taking just one case, the list of Nevada residents in need of and financially unable to get legal assistance will lessen significantly.
The number of lives that you will impact is great; the great enrichment that you will bring to the lives of those you assist is immeasurable.
The time has come, and this is your opportunity – click here to Be the ONE.
We all took the oath, and we’ve worked hard to live up to it; and the demands of a legal career and family take a lot of our attention.
But it doesn’t take a lot of time to use our skills to make the world better. Nor does it require giving up the specialties and practices through which we’ve served so many already. It just takes one lawyer, taking one case.
To find out how to take your pro bono case contact your local aid office or complete The ONE Pro Bono Service Form and email it back to us.
“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” – Edward Everett Hale