Participating in the ONE Campaign means:
1. You are meeting your Rule 6.1 professional responsibility of providing legal services for those who are unable to pay. Rule 6.1 provides that a lawyer should aspire to render at least 20 hours of pro bono publico legal services per year. These services include, but are not limited to providing services to persons limited means or to organizations that are designed primarily to address the needs of persons of limited means or making a financial contribution to an organization or group that provides pro bono legal services to persons of limited means.
2. You are helping someone who really needs the legal assistance. The five legal organization team members of the ONE Campaign reported thousands of Nevadans assisted last year with their legal needs with a portion of those cases being handled by pro bono volunteers. The need is there and your service will be appreciated.
3. You will be among thousands of attorneys in Nevada who give back. Last year, about one-third of Nevada’s attorneys reported contributing more than 100,000 hours of pro bono service.
4. This is a great chance to develop your skills. There is a tremendous benefit to the pro bono attorney in donating their services – it sharpens your skills. All types of issues and all types of opportunities surface in pro bono cases. Interested in arguing before a court? This may be your chance!
5. How about an ego boost for the profession at large? Everyone seems to hate lawyers. (Seriously. When was the last time you heard an architect joke or a teacher joke at a party?) Wouldn’t it be nice to be appreciated for giving back? You can give back to pro bono clients. They need your help, and they genuinely appreciate your services.